Thursday, April 6, 2023

Where to Put the Garden?

Taking a pause from IS101 and thinking about a garden, the question is, "Where to put it?" It is kind of like the "IF" function. If you are looking for a certain outcome (True), then this, if not (False), then that.

For fruits and vegetables, you want to pick a spot that receives at least eight to ten hours of sunlight. Apparently, gardens that face south tend to get more sunlight than the north counterpart. Also to consider, is the morning sunlight. That means east facing gardens. Now my backyard faces north-west ( I used a compass) so I picked an area that aesthetically looked good. I also spent a day from morning to end of day observing which area got the most sunlight and for how long. I truly thought one could pick a spot and go garden. I guess one could, but for all the effort I believe it takes to garden, especially ones first year doing it, a little research might be a smart idea.

So If you want a a successful garden (it does take more that just sunlight) make sure you pick an area that receives the most sunlight.

10 comments:

  1. At least 8 to 10 hours of sunlight, south/east facing, research beforehand, thank you for the gardening advice :-)

    Even taking a pause from IS101, the IF function still makes an appearance in your mind ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I need to consider how brutal the sunlight is in the summer? 😁 I tried to grow a lemon tree and Calamansi tree to no avail. Their leaves get so burnt by the sun that I feel like it stunted their growth.😞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep two of my citrus trees in a spot where they get morning sun and then shade most of the day. I also have a couple of citrus trees in an area where they don't get direct sunlight during the afternoon but off the the side of the garden. They get afternoon light but it isn't as intense. I also have a shade covering my garden as well because Vegas sun/heat burns everything up.

      Delete
  3. WoW, you are so into gardening! I think I will never do that because it takes time and a lot of efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to garden. I didn't think I would because it does take time, effort, trial and error, and most of patience. To which for the latter I tend not to have. So this garden is teaching me patience.

      Delete
  4. You have inspired me to start my own garden! I bought seeds to plant tomatoes and strawberries so let's see how it goes. I struggle with being patient, so I think it will help me become more mindful. Thanks for your tips! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you plan to add a mesh shade to your garden as we creep more into the hotter months? Or maybe a few misters to add moister to the leaves and flowers to help with the radiant heat? Gardening is very fun, but it does seem like a dance with the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is genius, I mean it makes perfect sense and I can understand why. I neer really had to put in any kind of thought into this growing up in the farm because we had all of this open land, without any obstructions that all of our plants were receiving all the sunlight while the sun was out. Being in a city, yeah... I can definitely understand why there would be a necessity to track which spots receive the most sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardening sounds very relaxing and like a perfect way to enjoy your time. I have no experience with gardening and didn't know that the direction the sunlight hits the garden was important. I would like to try gardening on my own someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soft fruit bushes like raspberries are generally sold as canes, which need planting during the dormant season between autumn and spring. Or buy container-grown bushes, which can be planted at any time of year but usually around late spring in time for the fruit to appear. Strawberries also fall into this category. Fruit trees like apples and pears should be planted during the dormant season, unless you buy container-grown versions. If you have a small garden but still want a fruit tree, look for dwarf varieties to grow in containers. Consider buying self-fertile fruit trees to guarantee plenty of fruit. Ask your local garden center or nursery for their recommendations.

    ReplyDelete