Monday, May 15, 2023

Sun, the garden needs you but....

The sun and heat here in Las Vegas can be brutal. The sunshine is what I like about Las Vegas but also can be the bane of my existence. Coupled with the water shortage and restrictions, having a garden can be challenging. The amount of direct sun can be brutal for the plants and soil. It sucks moisture, burns the leaves and fruit, and can kill a plant real quick. The heat is a real stressor, not only for the garden but also for the gardener as well. 

So what have I done that allows me to have a thriving garden so far? Besides putting in a drip system, I also manually water my garden once to twice daily. I also put up gardening shade fabric to protect the plants. Now when I say I did, really it was my husband who put it up, he also installed the drip system. Those three things have allowed my garden, "Becky" to survive. Yes, I named it. Surprise!!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting, naming the entire garden instead of individual plants?

    You manually your garden once to twice daily, nice ^_^

    May "Becky" prosper and thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes plenty sense, the climate here is truly brutal and unforgiving! Your husband is a trooper, but you are really on it for calling the proper shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned the hardway about gardening in Las Vegas. The heat burnt the leaves of my Calamansi tree and stunted its growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heat of Las Vegas is brutal but it's great that you have a system in place to ensure your garden succeeds. Becky is in good hands, and I know it's going to survive this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum forgot to water her plant in a big pot for 2 days, and it died. Fortunately, the other plants on the ground have a drip system, allowing them to survive.

    ReplyDelete